Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Re-entering the life of glamour

So, I was away for a while and was recently inspired to pick back up with this blog. Why?

I looked down and saw spit-up on my shirt.

Yep...I didn't even realize it was there, and have no idea how long it had been there. That's when I realized I never really left this glamorous life, despite my son Christopher growing into an active, truly awesome nearly-four-year-old.

But the spit-up on my shirt didn't belong to him. It came from his new baby sister, Lydia...our 3-month-old bucket of sunshine.

Lydia didn't exactly come into this world like sunshine, though. In fact, it was down right scary the way she arrived. It was the morning of July 20, a week before her due date, and I had a contraction. Yep, just one. Then about an hour later I had another, and decided to maybe start writing them down. It's a good thing, because they started coming so often I could barely keep up! They were four minutes apart and getting closer quickly. I had suddenly gone from wondering if I was in labor to wondering if we were going to make it to the hospital in time!

In about three hours' time from that first contraction, Miss Lydia came into the world like a runaway train. I barely got my epidural and, if you know me, you know I'm an avid supporter of drugs while in labor. You get a baby whether you have the drugs or not, so why not have them and enjoy the experience? Well, we were almost too late, as everyone in the maternity wing learned as I screamed during the minute-apart contractions. But, we did make it by a few minutes, so I was actually able to enjoy her arrival. In fact, this all happened so quickly that later in the day, when I happened to see myself in the mirror, I noticed that my make-up was mostly still in place, and my hair still looked decent. That was probably the last day of make-up for a while.

So, now I'm back to wearing spit-up instead of make-up, as I now attempt to chase two crazy kids instead of one.

Welcome back into my world.

No comments: